Tom Rooney Family

Tuesday, August 01, 2006


In Memory of Tom Rooney


Thomas Joseph Rooney

April 5th, 1948 – July 27th, 2006

On June 30th, 2006 at approximately 10:30 in the morning, Tom was taken to Mesquite Community Hospital where he suffered from a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (SAH) of the Anterior Communicating Artery. It is also refered to as a brain aneurysm or stroke. He was flown by Careflight to Baylor Dallas where he spent the next month in the ICU. It was finally decided by the family that Tom would want to go home to God. After speaking with several doctors about his condition the family decided to withdraw care and “Let go, and Let God.” On July 26th at 10:45am life support was removed. Tom passed away on July 27th, at 7:40am.

He is survived by his wife Cathy and their four children. Teresa Hayes and her spouse Eddie, two children; Michael and Dylan. John Rooney and his spouse Brandi, two children; Katelyn and Makayla. Stephen Rooney and his spouse Crystal, two children Chasity and Cas. His youngest daughter Sarah Rooney, senior at Texas A&M Commerce. And last but not least Lucy and Radar, his beloved Golden Retrievers.

Memories of my father

My best memories of my father are seeing all of the Star Wars movies with him for the first time at the movie theater. We saw the first three at the old Northpark Cinema. Star Wars was the first movie my father ever took me to. He use to tell me the story of the night we saw Star Wars. He would tell me that before the movie even started I looked up at him and said, “This sure is a great movie dad.”


Anyone wishing to add a memory or comment, please feel free to do so.

John Rooney

1 Comments:

  • Tom was a guy I always had a great deal of respect for. My wife Pam and I went to church with Tom, Cathy and Sarah at Westlake Church in Garland about 12 or 13 years ago. He was the kind of guy that was friendly to everyone and seemed to want to help whenever and in whatever way he could. Westlake went thorough a split and we went our seperate ways. I knew from a mutual friend that Tom and Cathy were at Lakeridge in Mesquite and when our next church went through a split about four years ago, I called Tom. We caught up with each other and talked about church and the important things in life. He encouraged me to visit Lakeridge, but didn't pressure me at all. We ended up going to another church where we have been ever since. My conversation with Tom that day, and attending his memorial service on Monday only reminded me of what a great man this was.

    At pre-teen church camp this summer, the main point of the worship time for the kids was to impress on them that our first priority is to love God, and our second priority is to love others. We love others when we meet their needs. Tom always impressed me as a man who loved God, and others by meeting their needs. I want the family to know that Pam and I are praying for you guys. I know this is not easy to accept or understand. We will never fully know the mind of God while we live in this earthly tabernacle, and we will never understand why Tom had to leave us so soon. We pray for God's grace to endure this tremendous loss. Lean on Him and he will give you strength to make it through. The good news is that for those of us who have trusted Christ for our eternal salvation, we will see Tom again. What a glorious day that will be! Tom had a brilliant question in that speech at the men's conference, "Will I see you on the other side?". That is the question we all must answer. While Tom's passing has saddened me greatly, I know that I will see him there when God decides to call me home. Please know that we will continue to keep you in our prayers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home